Friday, April 3, 2015

Citadel of the Sky by Chrysoula Tzavelas

I received a copy of this book on NetGalley. Okay,I hate giving bad reviews, and I don’t want to think of this as a bad review - but it isn’t a good one, either.

I had three main problems with this. The first one is the writing style. Not only did I find errors throughout the novel (I understand that this is an ARC), but the word choices themselves were stiff. I couldn’t get into the flow of the novel because there wasn’t one. The dialogue between characters was so forced that I found myself unable to get into the story at all. Another reason for this was the characters themselves. There were too many with too little of description. I couldn’t picture them in my head. There was also no back story, so right out of the gate I was extremely confused. I had hoped that reading through the entire thing would help me figure it out, but it had the opposite effect. The more I read, the more confused I became due to the convoluted story.

There is a bright side, though. I think the idea is brilliant, but it just needs some work. I love how the royal family has certain powers that others don’t - it turns it away from the standard monarchy that happens only through bloodline. At least in this family, there was a reason for their being in power. I think that if there was more added to the book - like the clarification of the terms, the power, and the structure of the world they live in - it could become a powerful story.   

No comments:

Post a Comment